What is a press release?
A press release is a short, compelling news story that’s sent to targeted members of the media (a journalist or a publication) to pique their interest. If successful, the said journalist/publication will help and guide you through press coverage.
Getting press coverage (newspapers, radio, and even TV) is not that hard. As with most things, it’s all in how you ask.
1. Research the various local media outlets and find out who reports on schools or education. (Hint: Calling the paper or the station is the best way to do this)
2. Once you know who to talk to, email them a press release. Always put your phone number and email so they can contact you! Take a look at the sample press releases at the end of this post for inspiration.
3. Then, one day after sending the release, call the media outlet and “pitch” the reporter. (If you’re lucky they’ll call you first)
“Hi, this Suzy at George Washington High, did you receive a press release from our robotics team?” If yes, engage the reporter in a conversation. Invite him or her to the school to meet your robot, or to an upcoming competition. If no, leave a voicemail and try again later.
4. Stories to pitch:
- Your club’s achievements like success at competitions and awards
- Students from your club getting into great colleges and careers
- Community service work your club does
- Using crowdfunding to connect with your local community (crowdfunding through Edco can be a cool tech story)
We have put together a sample press release, which can be found below.
Contact: Les Moreberg
Gentlemen of Vision
LOCAL STEP TEAM “GENTLEMEN OF VISION” QUALIFIES FOR 4TH NATIONALS
St. Louis, MO — May 2015 —
The Gentlemen of Vision Step team is at it again. The 3-time Youth Step Championship winners qualified for another opportunity to bring home the title after earning 2nd place at the Youth Step USA St. Louis Regional on Saturday, April 18th.
Founded by Les Moreberg in 1997, the Gentlemen of Vision Rites of Passage Enterprises is a mentoring program that currently serves 40 high school aged students in the St Louis area. GOV’s mission is to engage disadvantaged males in a positive program that holistically addresses the needs of its members to ensure successful completion of secondary education resulting in enrollment in a post-secondary educational institution.
“Gentlemen of Vision is not just about stepping, it is about education. Education is our #1 goal”, says Moreberg. “Students learn to work in teams and build individual confidence, which provides the foundation for future success. Students on our team have a 100% college acceptance rate over the past few years. [this could also be a student quote]
Gentlemen of Vision will join step teams from around the country for the Youth Step National Championships in Harrisburg, PA on May 25, where they will once again showcase their talent, creativity and determination.
With this shot at Nationals, the team has kicked their fundraising into high gear. The team has created a special web page to showcase to the community what they are all about. To learn more about their program and the opportunity to support the education of these talented young men, please visit: https://nottareel-high.ed.co/gentlemen-of-vision. Every little bit counts!
We hope these tips will help you on your fundraising journey.
To learn more about Edco visit: https://ed.co/
EDCO PRESS RELEASES
March 2, 2018 – School Raises Funds to Make Playground Sun-safe with Edco