Did you know that 30% of all charitable donations are made between #GivingTuesday and the end of the year? If you are on our site, you at least know that you need to explore online fundraising, so we want to make sure you put your best foot forward and are ready in time for #GivingTuesday. In 2017 more than $274M in funds was raised on #GivingTuesday. This year, #GivingTuesday is November 27, get started now to ensure your school, team, or classroom is up and running in time. It isn’t too late to be a part of the BIGGEST giving day of the year and to make a huge difference on your campaign.
Now in its seventh year, #GivingTuesday is a staple in the fundraising world. Your contacts are expecting to hear from you about your STEM project, robotics tournament, travel for your speech and debate team or the new uniforms your football team needs. #GivingTuesday is the perfect day to kick off your campaign. Here are 10 tips to help you put your best foot forward.
- Plan Ahead – Start planning in advance. This means today actually. It goes without saying that there is something your school, group, team or classrooms needs. Identify what it is and how much you need today.
- Create Your Pitch – Jot down what makes your K12 fundraising campaign unique. Start off by creating a fundraising pitch that donors can relate to and feel compelled by. There are a lot of fundraisers and charities competing for the same dollars…be creative.
- Recruit Your Team – Activate the troops, or in your case, students and peers. Recruit a team of 10 or more students/peers/mentors who can be part of your team.
- Gather Donors – Prepare your list of donors and remember to strategically add corporations. Does your uncle Joe work for IBM? Or is there a local business that would love to help your team? Add them to your list of donors you can reach out to. If all 10 of your team members do the same, you should have a great list to reach out to. Remember to add any family members and friends of the family who would love to help your cause.
- Follow Best Practices – Brush up on best practices for K12 fundraisers, tips, tricks and resources that will set your team up for success from the start.
- Kick-off on #GivingTuesday – #GivingTuesday should be the start to your year-end efforts. Don’t stop at the one day…keep going and blow through your goals. It’s a well-documented fact that about one third of a given year’s charitable giving happens in December. So making #GivingTuesday the kick-off date of your next campaign is a smart move.
- Share on Social – Being social will work to your advantage. Share your fundraiser on all of your social networks AND ask donors to do the same. Many people would give to a fundraiser if they were simply asked. BONUS TIP: Hashtag #Giving Tuesday had 21.7 billion impressions on twitter alone. Remember to include it in your posts.
- Schedule Your Messaging – Have a plan! In the week leading up to #GivingTuesday, plan your messages. Will you send emails? Write posts? Make calls? Create a blog post? Whatever it is, plan the messaging and schedule in advance. Need help? Access our concierge service for some help on setting up a page and campaign.
- Engage/Retain Donors – Prior to #GivingTuesday teams should reach out and follow-up afterwards, so you can engage and retain all of those new donors after the big day. Certain online fundraising platforms make it easy by storing your contacts so you can repeat or continue a successful campaign.
- Get Started Now – Create your team’s customized page using an online platform like Edco. Make sure you put thought into your description, so donors know exactly what you need. Computers for your school lab, new wrestling mats, funds for a school trip or dance competition…whatever it is, let everyone know about it along with some team photos and, if you can, a video of your group. Online fundraising platforms make it SUPER easy to set up a campaign and even easier for donors to give.
You are very busy, K12 fundraising doesn’t have to require so much of your time and effort for minimal results. Teams that use Edco for their fundraiser raiser 3x more than with traditional fundraisers. Find out more about how you can get your page up well in advance of #GivingTuesday.